Doubling The Wave
High level dialogue to take carbon pricing to the next level
Date: January 16, 2017
Location: Swissôtel, Schulstrasse 44
8050 Zurich, Switzerland
Paris delivered a strong global climate agreement – one that recognizes the important role of carbon pricing and markets in shifting investment to new, lower-carbon assets. Today, 13 percent of greenhouse gas emissions are priced. Businesses are increasingly calling for carbon pricing policies, and are using internal pricing to prepare for future climate risks. But price levels are still too low to shift investment, and a number of major economies still do not have plans to put a price on their carbon emissions.
Heads of state and business leaders have set a global goal to double the coverage of emissions subject to carbon pricing by 2020, and double it again within the next decade. This will require:
- Expanding - putting in place new carbon pricing policies,
- Deepening existing carbon pricing programs, and
- Converging - promoting global cooperation and linkage of carbon pricing systems.
Doing this will help deliver on the ambition of the Paris Agreement, while delivering multiple benefits to governments and companies in the form of climate resilience, new investment opportunities and sustainable growth.
Join this interactive dialogue event and help to “double the wave” for carbon pricing. Participants will address key questions such as:
- How to introduce carbon pricing systems by overcoming barriers and seizing new opportunities?
- How to recycle revenues from carbon pricing while ensuring a just and fair transition to a low-carbon economy?
- How to build on the growing practice in the business community to apply internal carbon pricing and respond to external calls for carbon disclosure and climate risk stress testing?
- How to ensure that carbon pricing schemes provide long-term, meaningful price signals?
- How to link existing schemes towards a more global liquid, robust and transparent market minimizing competitiveness distortions?
This event is organized by the Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition with the support of the Dutch Government, and co-organized by the International Emissions Trading Association, We Mean Business Coalition, CDP and the Environmental Defense Fund. It will gather key decision-makers from the public and private sector with a specific focus on the financial sector and investors. The insights and conclusions gathered at this event will feed into discussions at the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum taking place the following days in Davos, Switzerland.
January 16, 2017
Swissôtel, Schulstrasse 44
8050 Zurich, Switzerland