Government of Canada announces carbon tax plan for Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan

Government of Canada announces carbon tax plan for Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan

 This photo was originally posted on Twitter from @JustinTrudeau.

This photo was originally posted on Twitter from @JustinTrudeau.

October 24, 2018

Today, the Government of Canada announced its plans to implement a carbon tax in Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. The tax will return 90% of the revenue back to households in those provinces and send the other 10% to businesses, schools, Indigenous communities and other localities to reduce carbon emissions. The plan is projected to provide most families more money on net when comparing the tax’s costs versus its rebate to households. The announcement continues Canada’s commitment to using carbon pricing as a key tool to reduce carbon emissions and build an innovative, low-carbon economy.

Minister of Environment and Climate Change for Canada and CPLC Co-Chair, Catherine McKenna said “Canadians know that polluting isn’t free. We are all paying the cost of storms, floods, wildfires, and extreme heat. Our government is ensuring a price across Canada on what we don’t want, pollution, so we can get what we do want – lower emissions, cleaner air, opportunities for businesses with clean solutions, and more money in the pockets of Canadians. We have a plan for healthy environment and a stronger economy. Because, at the end of the day, it’s what we owe our kids.”

Currently, 53 carbon pricing initiatives have been implemented or scheduled for implementation. In 2018, these initiatives would cover 20% of global greenhouse gas emissions. According to the recent New Climate Economy Report, transitioning to a low-carbon economy would unlock US$26 trillion in economic benefits worldwide by 2030, including 65 million jobs. Carbon pricing is a critical element of this transition. It is important that the public and the private sector continue widening and deepening the adoption of strong carbon prices.

Join the conversation on Twitter using #PriceOnCarbon and a suggested tweet:

“Canada is continuing its commitment to #climateaction with the introduction of price on pollution in Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. The plan will maintain a healthy environment & incentivize a clean, innovative economy. https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/10/23/government-canada-fighting-climate-change-price-pollution #PriceOnCarbon”

“A #PriceOnCarbon is important for the economy & the environment. Today, Canada continued its commitment to pricing pollution & combatting climate change. See more: https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/10/23/government-canada-fighting-climate-change-price-pollution

“The world needs a #PriceOnCarbon to build a low-carbon, innovative economy & maintain a healthy environment. Today, Canada continued its commitment to #climateaction through a price on pollution. https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/10/23/government-canada-fighting-climate-change-price-pollution